Friday, March 30, 2018

Novel Equals Writer Education


 
I finished the first draft of my novel shortly before Easter.  Writing a novel was a big leap for me and it required time and focus.  One of the first things about writing a novel that I want to share with you is this.

I began with a quote.  I do mean began, because the first thing I had to do was let my mind get used to the idea of writing a novel.  I’ve misplaced the quote but it was from a mountain climber that even mountain climbers hold in awe.  So paraphrased, as I remember the words, they are…I expanded my mind so that the unfeasible slowly became within the realm of possibilities.

Maybe I could write a novel.  I told myself that I had completed my apprenticeship in writing with the short stories I have written.  I told myself that my novel didn’t have to be ‘good’.  I told myself that each portion would be a small puzzle that I could solve.  The final expansion of my mind was to look about and see who had written novels.  If they could do it…

One of my winter visitors
So can I!  And I did.  

This is from Writing as a Sacred Path by Jill Jepson.  …about writers…”We turn every action we take, every thought we have, every moment we live, into an education about writing.”  Writing the novel was an education that I’m glad I took.